The Lyonnaise salad is a culinary specialty originating from our beautiful city of Lyon, and of course from the Café des Fédérations.
It’s a salad made with frisée lettuce hearts, bacon, croutons, and poached eggs. It is often seasoned with a vinaigrette made from wine vinegar, mustard and oil.
Here are the main elements of the Lyonnaise salad:
- Heart of frisée lettuce: The base of the salad is generally made of heart of frisée lettuce, which provides a crunchy and slightly bitter texture.
- Bacon: These are pieces of bacon cut into small cubes and cooked until crispy. The bacon bits add a rich, salty flavor to the salad.
- Croutons: Pieces of toasted or fried bread can be added to provide a crunchy texture to the salad.
- Poached Eggs: Poached eggs are often placed on top of salad. The creamy egg yolk mixes with the dressing to enrich the flavor of the salad.
- Vinaigrette: The traditional Lyonnaise vinaigrette is prepared with wine vinegar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper. This vinaigrette helps to bind all the elements of the salad together and give it its characteristic taste.
Lyonnaise salad is often served as a starter or light dish. It represents traditional Lyon cuisine, renowned for its gastronomic richness and authentic dishes.